Each month we explore pop culture (we kind of have to, it's in our title), 80's and 90's nostalgia, movie and TV trends, old school toys & games, tropes, urban myths, and more. Commentary, criticisms, and opinions abound. Stick around, you might just be entertained.

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Commercial Mascots Taught Me Everything I Know About Stealing Stuff

As I look back on my childhood, I realize how frequently television tried to tell me that thievery was normal and "okay."  The following are a list of commercial mascots from the 80's who were either trying to steal a particular brand of food or who were having that brand stolen from them:

1) Hamburglar - the original food thief extraordinaire.
2) Trix Rabbit
3) The Noid
4) Lucky Charms Leprechaun - constantly on the run from a rainbow coalition of kids trying to steal his food.
5) Cookie Crisp Robber - At first it was a robber and a cop....then a robber, a cop, and the robber's dog.....then the robber and the cop went away and the dog turned into a wolf.
6) Chester Cheetah - It ain't easy doing thirty to life.....for being cheezy.
Image found via Tumblr

And, while my memory is kind of fuzzy on these, I am pretty sure the Coco Puff bird thingy and Toucan Sam were thieves or were also in constant fear of their precious cereal being stolen.  With role models like these, it's shocking that I am not a klepto (although I have been known to try and destroy the freshness of Domino's pizza).

No comments:

Post a Comment