Each month we explore pop culture (we kind of have to, it's in our title), 80's and 90's nostalgia, movie and TV trends, old school toys & games, tropes, urban myths, and more. Commentary, criticisms, and opinions abound. Stick around, you might just be entertained.

Sunday, October 21, 2012

The 10 Best Horror Anthology Stories of All Time

Ever since my first experience with CREEPSHOW at the ripe old age of five, I have been a sucker for Horror anthology films.  I love it when filmmakers are able to give me  nice, lean, compact twenty to thirty minute spooks a poppin' good time.  There's nothing better in my opinion.

1) Dumplings (Three: Extremes) - A pre-Celebrity Rehab Bai Ling sells dumplings with a secret ingredient.  Do we really want to stay young that much?
2) The Crate (Creepshow) - This entry is dedicated to my cousins for terrorizing me and making me cry during this segment.  Thanks, guys.
3) Lover's Vow (Tales from the Darkside) - A fairly serious horror story to cap off what had been a pretty cheesy (but fun) anthology.  I never saw this one coming.
Image source: thewordslinger.com
4) The Raft (Creepshow 2) - This story is one of the few instances where the ending to the movie is better than the ending to the original Stephen King story (see also THE MIST).
5) Pregnant Traveler (Grim Prairie Tales) - This messed me up as a kid.  Pregnant ladies are not to be trusted. 
6) KKK Comeuppance (Tales from the Hood) - Puppets + Southern Racism = the best story in a surprisingly good anthology. 
7) Bobby (Dead of Night) - Not to be mistaken with the classic British Anthology from the 40's.  The middle story in this anthology is the only worthwhile entry, and was later remade for Trilogy of Terror II.
8) Christmas Party (Dead of Night, 1945) - Most people remember the Ventriloquist's Dummy story, but this cool little Ghost Story is the one that always creeped me out as a kid.
9) Sam (Trick 'r Treat) - I waited years for this movie, and it did not disappoint.  The tale of an old man (with a secret) versus the personification of Halloween.
10) Prey (Trilogy of Terror) - I still remember the day I rented this from the big-box video store in Mamou, Louisiana.  The Zuni Fetish doll is an icon, and the story still holds up.

No comments:

Post a Comment