Each month we explore pop culture (we kind of have to, it's in our title), 80's and 90's nostalgia, movie and TV trends, old school toys & games, tropes, urban myths, and more. Commentary, criticisms, and opinions abound. Stick around, you might just be entertained.

Friday, October 12, 2012

Your kid can handle it...trust me.


I'l admit.  I probably started watching R-Rated movies way too young.

One of my earliest memories is watching CREEPSHOW with my cousins at about the age of 5.  I did okay until "The Crate" episode....and, as soon as I saw the Abominable Snowman eat a guy, I flipped out.  I ended the movie hiding behind a mini-bar as my cousins made monster noises and reached around the bar trying to grab me.  It messed me up.
Image source: The Horror Novice
Today CREEPSHOW is one of my favorite movies.

I survived.

A few years ago when THE MONSTER SQUAD was released on DVD a guy came into my store who, like me, had watched the movie a million times when he was a kid.  He had a young boy with him who was just the right age to experience the moment when you first realize "Wolfman's got nards."  However, when I mentioned to the guy that he should have a great time watching it with his son he responded...."Oh, my kid would never be able to handle this movie.  It's too intense."

Why was it just fine for us, but too intense for him?

I think most people would agree that kids are more jaded and grow up much earlier than we did in the eighties.  And yet, most parents think they can't handle a PG-13 horror comedy about kids who fight monsters in a loosely knit squad.

I saw a handyman get eaten alive by a Fluff Monster in a crate when I was 5.

Trust me.  Your kid can handle seeing the Wolfman get kicked in the balls.

No comments:

Post a Comment